it's time to munch! today's recipe is our new obsession. last spring we went to a parent/toddler circle for 6 weeks every friday at a local waldorf school. it was a really wonderful experience and we plan to go back in the fall. these graham crackers were served as a snack one day and bb LOVED them. he couldn't get enough. seriously, it was embarrassing how he scarfed. needless to say i had to get the recipe from the teacher and she graciously gave it over.
like the apple pancakes, you can dress them up or not. bb is fond of a little cream cheese and jam on them or sometimes almond butter and jam is a hit. but plain works, too. we take them everywhere. he'll eat them in the car, he'll eat them from a jar. he'll eat them in the rain, he'll eat them on a train.
i know it's a little warm for baking in the summer heat, but it makes a nice rainy day activity. bb keeps asking for them and i keep telling him, "next time it rains, we'll make GRAHAM CRACKERS!" and he claps and goes to show me the rolling pin. he loves to "help" mix and roll the dough, then i cut them and he puts them on the baking sheet. climbs his little self right up onto super stool and he's ready to roll.
1/3 c. oil
1/3 c. honey
2 tbs. molasses
1/4 - 1/2 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 - 3 c. ww flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
oil or butter for greasing
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet or line with parchment paper.
2. Mix oil, honey, molasses, 1/4 cup of the milk and vanilla together in a small bowl.
3. In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix. If mixture is too dry add the remaining 1/4 cup of milk until it’s wet enough to form a ball.
5. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough to about 1/4” thick. You can experiment with thickness--some people like a softer cracker than others.
6. Cut into squares and prick with a fork to make small indents. Bake for 10-12 min.
and here's your handy recipe card for printing. ENJOY!!!