25 September 2006

everybody loves tofu--right?

WELCOME TO THE MONDAY MUNCH!
(i couldn't post the logo because (shocker) blogger won't let me. o, fickle, fickle blogger.)

anyway. . .

i know what you're thinking. tofu. spongey, wet, tastes like nuthin'. this can be true!


but not always.

consider tofu "fish" sticks. they are crispy (on the outside), sorta salty and fun to eat! (and who doesn't love a good dippin' sauce?)

every once in a while when i can't think of what to feed bb i remember tofu sticks.
he loves them. who says kids can't enjoy tofu?? just try them--you'll see!

TOFU STICKS

Ingredients
1 Pound Extra Firm Tofu
1/2 cup fine bread crumbs
3 tbs. sesame seeds
1 tbs. nutritional yeast (optional)
1/4 tsp. paprika
1 egg, beaten or 3 tbs. olive oil

Ingredients
1. Place tofu in a shallow pan. Press water out by placing a weighted cutting board on top of it for 15-30 mins. Drain water.

2. In a shallow bowl or plate, combine crumbs, seeds, yeast and paprika.

3. Turn tofu block on its side, and cut tofu in half lengthwise. Turn tofu back to widest side, and cut into 1/2-ince slices across the shorter end. You should have 12 pieces.

4. Preheat oven to 375. Oil baking sheet. Pour egg or oil into a shallow bowl or plate. Coat tofu in egg on all sides. Next, roll into crumb mixture until coated.

5. Place tofu sticks on baking sheet. Bake 20- 25 minutes, turning once or until brown and crisp. Serve with tartar sauce for dipping.

sometimes instead of baking, i throw them in a pan with some oil and fry them up. not as healthy, but suuuuuuure is tasty!

your handy recipe card is here.
enjoy!

3 comments:

April said...

Oh, yum, yum, yum!! I love tofu and this recipe sounds awesome. I use nutritional yeast in every batch of baby food I make - so this is right up our alley!

Jamie said...

Regarding your blogger problems.... I have downloaded Mozilla Firefox (I was using Internet Explorer and having a lot of probs) because I heard that it gets along better with blogger. I don't have nearly the problems uploading pictures that I had with IE. Creating posts is the only time I use the Firefox though, because I don't like it as well as IE. Not sure what you use, but it worked for me!

kate said...

thanks, jamie--i already use firefox!